FIDM Winter 2013 Quarter Schoolwork Update: Drafting

W hat up, people!? Guess who is back to her regularly-scheduled blogging shenanigans?

Me – that’s who! ;)  Sorry… I have had too much coffee to drink today and even the writing portion of my brain is hyper!

ANYWAY, I am so happy to be blogging again. I actually really missed it and felt an odd twinge of jealousy when I saw my blog friends being uber productive over the past few weeks (seriously- some of you are rocking it! Keep up the amazing work!). I figured I would kick things off with a recap of my school projects from the past semester since I have had many requests for pictures. Since there are a ton of projects, I am going to break it up into a few posts so I don’t break your computers or brains with too many pictures in a single post. You’re welcome.

So let’s get the ball rolling with some pictures of my Technical Drawing (hand drafting) class. This class was, by far, the most work. I spent 6-12 hours a week (usually Saturdays) working on one assignment. However, I am so so so pleased with the progress that I made, really enjoyed the class, and managed to pull off an A (actually I am proud to say I got a 4.0 this quarter and made the President’s Honor Roll! WOOO!).

Also, as a general note for all of these projects: these were all drafted by hand using lead and drafting vellum. Lead + vellum = lots of smudges! Before I turned these in, I was able to make copies of them on the blueprint printer so that the smudges (and erased “oops” lines) didn’t show up in my final submissions. However, these (mediocre) photos are of the originals so you will have to excuse some smudges and some partially-visible erased mistakes. This is the real deal! ;)

Ok, here we go! I already shared pictures of this one with you but I felt I needed to put it in sequence with the others. Our first major assignment was to trace the house plan and then draw the office plan to scale in order to get a feel for the materials and process.DraftingFloorplan2DraftingFloorplan4 DraftingFloorplan3

The next assignment was to draft a floorplan, section, elevation, and detail of a basic pagoda.DraftingAssignment2_1 DraftingAssignment2_2

The third assignment was to create an electrical plan (shows the outlets) and a reflected ceiling plan (shows anything on the ceiling, including lights and their corresponding switches).DraftingAssignment3_3 DraftingAssignment3_4 DraftingAssignment3_1 DraftingAssignment3_2

The next assignment was to draw some detailed elevations for both bathroom and kitchen floorplans. Yes, every line is measured to scale and drawn by hand!DraftingAssignment4_1 DraftingAssignment4_3 DraftingAssignment4_2 DraftingAssignment4_4_new3

Next, we explored what materials go into the construction of a building.DraftingAssignment5_1 DraftingAssignment5_2 DraftingAssignment5_3Finally, we had a four part final project (that took place over three weeks!) that was a set of documents for a kitchen and media room remodel. Part one was the demolition plan (which walls we were removing, etc.) and the construction plan (where we would rebuild the walls, the changes we were making, etc.).DraftingAssignment6_P1_1 DraftingAssignment6_P1_3 DraftingAssignment6_P1_2

Part two was an electrical plan and a reflected ceiling plan for the remodeled rooms.DraftingAssignment6_P2_1 DraftingAssignment6_P2_2 DraftingAssignment6_P2_3

Part three was a finish plan (detailing paint colors, floor types, counter top material, etc.).DraftingAssignment6_P3_1

Finally, part four was a section, elevations, and details for the new spaces.DraftingAssignment6_P4_1 DraftingAssignment6_P4_2 DraftingAssignment6_P4_3 DraftingAssignment6_P4_4 DraftingAssignment6_P4_5 DraftingAssignment6_P4_6

As you can see, I have been working super hard! I really don’t think these photos do the work justice (partially because my shoddy photography and photo editing cause a loss of quality) but I figured they were better than nothing! I plan to get them properly scanned for my portfolio at some point. But there you have it — the first of several schoolwork updates! Please feel free to ask any questions in the comments below! :)

I’ll be back tomorrow with another school update!

19 Responses to "FIDM Winter 2013 Quarter Schoolwork Update: Drafting"

1. Nicole

April 2, 2013 at 4:35 pm

This is amazing!! Very impressive. I have worked on a lot of to-scale floorplans and I can’t imagine having to do them by hand. Congratulations on your great work and 4.0!!! :)

April 2, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Thank so much Nicole! Yeah, it was tough but really valuable. :)

2. Casey @ Waffling

April 2, 2013 at 4:36 pm

wow! These look amazing! How do you know what to draw? Do they give you guidelines? I would NEVER guess these were done by a student

April 2, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Thanks Casey and welcome! :)

Basically they give us a not-to-scale example of the floorplans with corresponding dimensions (i.e. counters are 3′-0″ tall from the ground, countertops are 2′-1″ wide from the wall, this room is 10′-2″ from inner wall to inner wall, interior walls are 5″ thick, etc.). Then we use a scale ruler in the corresponding scale and re-create everything like you see here. When I first start, I draw light guidelines to help layout the structure of the room and then go over it darker when I have it all together and need to add detail.

And that is so flattering you say these don’t look like student work! I am blushing like crazy! :)

3. Ash @ HumberHomeProject

April 2, 2013 at 5:22 pm

These look incredible! Just imagine what you’ll be doing towards the end of your schooling! :) :)
    Congratulations on your 4.0! Way to rock it, girl!

So, all plans always have the same handwriting style on them – do they teach that to you? haha. I know that’s a nerdy question, but I’ve always wondered!

April 2, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Thanks so much Ash! :)

Not a nerdy question at all — I have had a lot of people ask me that! The writing is called architectural writing and yes, they teach us all of it. In fact, I have a million “lettering” assignments on lined paper… just like grade school! :) Every vertical line must be done with the straight edge of a triangle so it is perfectly vertical. Horizontal lines are done freehand with a slight upward angle to make it easier to read. Curved lines typically have an upward slant as well, such as the letter D. Everything is written in caps and is constrained to a certain scale (i.e. all letters are 1/4″ tall) based on guidelines that you draw.

It takes a long time but it makes everything look really neat! Unless I am too tired to do it well! ;)

April 2, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Holy cow, my friend. You are one talented lady!! I wish I could draw like that.

April 2, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Thanks Ashley! I love this class because not one line (other than in the lettering) is freehand (you use a parallel bar, triangles, and french curves)! So you don’t really need to know “how to draw” in order to produce this kind of work. It is all learning your scale ruler and really thinking analytically and mathematically to understand how to piece all of the information together (because they don’t give you every detail/dimension… some of it you have to figure out).

I am way better at this class than my freehand sketching class… that one you need to know how to draw and a lot of my stuff looks like a kindergartener drew it! Haha! But I am making baby steps ;)

April 3, 2013 at 7:22 am

It all looks so awesome! I’m so intrigued by all of this. :P

April 3, 2013 at 8:27 am

Thanks Melanie! Haha it is a lot to take in. ;)

6. Pingback: FIDM Winter 2013 Quarter Schoolwork Update: Color | Our Cozy Cubbyhole

7. Christine @ Casa-de-Christine

April 3, 2013 at 10:12 am

It’s beautifully done! You’re doing great! This all really takes me back and makes me want to dig out all my old projects to look at too! Congrats on your 4.0! Do you guys learn AutoCAD in the coming quarters?

April 3, 2013 at 11:13 am

Thank so much Christine! Yes, we do AutoCAD either this coming quarter or the one after. They make us do the hand drafting first because they told us that AutoCAD is only as smart as the person operating it and if you understand how to draw something first, you will get a lot more out of the software. Sounds true to me! ;)

8. bekah

April 8, 2013 at 9:21 am

CRAZY awesome!

April 9, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Thanks so much Bekah! :)

9. Kristen | Popcorn on the Stove

April 11, 2013 at 7:11 am

These were beautifully done (seriously – they’re so nice I would frame them!)! Congrats on President’s Honor Role! xo

April 11, 2013 at 9:56 am

Thanks so much Kristen! I need some extra wall space before I can frame all of this work! I can’t wait until I have my own little studio space to display everything! ;)

10. Pingback: FIDM Winter 2013 Quarter Schoolwork Update: Computer Graphics | Our Cozy Cubbyhole

11. Pingback: FIDM Winter 2013 Quarter Schoolwork Update: Sketching | Our Cozy Cubbyhole