Bo & Erika: The Love Story

I  know the blog has been slow this week but I am in the process of playing catch up from a crazy couple of weeks. Until I get a chance to photograph some of my recent projects, I thought I would share something fun with you this week. Saturday is the 5th anniversary of a very special day… the day I brought home an adorable little creature with four furry legs and a fan tail! I suppose I should start from the very beginning of the story before I start sharing all kinds of adorable Bo pictures.

In January of 2008, I was on The Price is Right. Yes, the game show (here is a full video if you don’t believe me). If you are going to watch the whole video stop reading because I am about to spoil it for you. I ended up walking away from the show with a trip to Washington D.C. and a Corvette! Needless to say that between the sales tax, the income tax (they consider the full value of the car “income” and tax it at an insanely high rate of close to 30% or so), and the car insurance costs (plus the speeding tickets a 21-year-old girl in a Corvette would inevitably attract), I wasn’t ever planning on keeping the car. So I simply signed a couple of pieces of paper at the dealership, sold the “used” car back to the them, and walked out of the building with the biggest check I have ever held in my hands. I went straight to the bank out of pure terror.

Me on the morning of the Price is Right taping! Like my take on the "Ithaca is Gorges" shirt?

Me on the morning of the Price is Right taping! Like my take on the “Ithaca is Gorges” shirt?

Bye, bye Corvette. We would have made a handsome couple.

Bye, bye Corvette. We would have made a handsome couple.

I put all of the winnings into a savings account that I vowed not to touch until it was time to do something special for my future (and pay a boatload of taxes). However, my parents encouraged me to use a little bit to splurge on something special. I think they figured I would get an iPhone or some new clothes. Instead, I called them the next day and said, “I know what I want to spend my money on: adopting a puppy. I have wanted one for my entire life and now I finally have the money to take care of it myself. I have time while I am in LA to devote to training the dog and going to obedience lessons. However, I will be living in your house for one more summer before graduating so I need to make sure you are okay with it since it will affect you. Otherwise I can wait until after I graduate so that you never have to deal with it.” My parents responded with, “We’ll think about it but go ahead and start looking to see what’s out there.”

I spent the next few weeks scouring Petfinder during every spare minute of the day. I sent out hundreds of inquiries and even met a few dogs in person. However, none of them were quite right for my fairly specific requirements. Finally, after over a month of hunting, I stumbled upon an adorable little pup mistakenly listed in the “Adult” age group section of Petfinder (usually dogs under 3 or 4 years are listed under “Baby” or “Young”) and followed the link to an adoption ad for “Bo” on a rescue organization’s (Friends of Orange County’s Homeless Pets) website. I instantly connected with that sweet face and contacted the organization immediately.

Bo_Adoption_FOCHP

This was Bo’s original adoption ad (now under “adopted dogs”).

After a series of emails with his foster mom over a couple days, I was convinced that this little guy could be “the one.” I drove down to Orange, CA, with my current LA roommate to meet the little furball that had already stolen my heart. When I got there, he was exactly what I had hoped for and knew I wouldn’t be able to find a better dog for myself in a million years.

Bo1_new

The first picture I ever took of Bo (at his foster mom’s house)!

Bo2_new

The first picture ever taken of Bo & I. Forgive the crazy eye… I was over-excited I guess haha! ;)

I called my parents on the way home. When I told them I had found the dog of my dreams, I asked them for their final decision and my dad paused for a long time. Then he responded slowly by saying, “Your mom and I have been talking and we have decided that now really isn’t a good time for you to get a dog…” My heart sank and a tear fell down my cheek. While I prepared myself to calmly tell them I understood and would respect their decision, my dad happily shouts, “…we think it’s a GREAT time!” After busting into happy tears and yelling at them both for playing mean tricks on me, I excitedly told them all about the dog named Bo. I emailed an adoption application to Bo’s foster mom the minute I arrived home.

Bo’s foster mom must have sensed my connection with Bo because she chose my application over a few others. BO WAS MINE! We arranged to meet at the Petsmart in Tustin, CA, that Saturday where Bo would be microchipped and sent back with me to his new forever home.

On February 22, 2008, the night before I picked him up, my episode of The Price is Right aired on national primetime television. However, the next morning as I walked up to the adoption event at the pet store and saw that happy pup wiggling and prancing toward me, I was a thousand times more excited. Choosing to adopt Bo as my fur baby was one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. Now when people ask about my little canine family member, I like to tell them that I won Bo on The Price is Right. :)

After all of the excitement on his adoption day, Bo needed a serious nap! :)

After all of the excitement on his adoption day, Bo needed a serious nap! :)

P.S. The rescue organization didn’t really know much about Bo’s story prior to his arrival. Somehow he ended up at a high-kill county shelter that called the rescue organization to come take him because they thought he would make a great pet. When the rescue organization picked him up, he had kennel cough, parasites, and was way too skinny. After a little TLC, he was as good as new!

P.P.S. I was going to come up with a new name for Bo once I brought him home. While I debated, I kept calling him Bo and after a while, nothing seemed to fit quite as well as the name he came with! :)

P.P.P.S. The sumer living in my parent’s house with Bo ended up going so well that they adopted a Bo look-alike for themselves the following December! Coincidence? I think not!

BoAndKoda

Bo and Koda :)

19 Responses to "Bo & Erika: The Love Story"

1. Christine @ Casa-de-Christine

February 21, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I loved this story!! I am totally going to watch you on the Price is Right later- haha. That’s amazing! Bo is super cute and it seems like he was meant to be yours : )

February 21, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Thanks so much Christine! I really do feel like Bo and I were meant to be together also! :)

Haha and yes, you should totally watch the video of the Price is Right. It was an insane experience!

2. Cindy P

February 21, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Oh my gosh!!! I got to the part where you said you were on the Price is Right and immediately went to watch the videos without reading anything else. The whole time I’m thinking “HOLY CRAP SHE WON A CORVETTE AND A TRIP TO DC!!!” So thank you for letting us know you turned down the Vette. =) Did you take the trip to DC? That is awesome!

I’ve always wanted to be on the Price is Right! Did you know that you were being called down before they called your name? That is so, so awesome!!!

February 21, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Yayyy! Glad you enjoyed the video. I did take the trip to DC. Actually it was originally a trip for two but I used some of the winnings to make it a trip for all four of my family members. I treated them to an all-expenses paid trip to DC for a week! :) It was so much fun!

I have watched the show since I was young so it was a dream come true to be on it. You actually can’t hear a thing when they call you down so they hold up these big cue cards with your name on it. I had no idea I was being called until I saw the cue card and I freaked out! Now I have the cuecard framed with my nametag. :)

3. Mom

February 21, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Koda loves this story the most!

February 21, 2013 at 2:44 pm

LOVE THAT PUP! :)

4. Trina @ Let's Just Build a House

February 21, 2013 at 4:10 pm

what a sweet story !!! and i would take my dog over a corvette any day too ;)

February 21, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Thanks Trina! Same here… Bo has put a trillion times more joy in my life than a car ever could! :)

5. Ash @ HumberHomeProject

February 21, 2013 at 8:48 pm

oh my gosh! this is awesome!
    First of all, the story about how you got Bo is awesome. I love that you waited until you found the right dog before adopting :) So sweet. Bo is lucky to have you!!

okay I feel like I have a million questions about you being on the show… but the #1 one that I have is this…
    was the wheel heavy? I’ve always wondered!! haha
    You are so adorable. I was cracking up at all the creeper comments on the videos, too – looks like you have some fans out there ;)

February 22, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Haha I am so glad you enjoyed the story. You are so sweet to say that Bo is lucky because I am really the lucky one! He is such a sweet boy! :)

1. YES the wheel was pretty heavy but it was also crazy tall! So I had to like jump up and use my body weight to pull it down. I don’t know how the old ladies do it!

2. Haha yes I went back and read the comments… people are so weird. And creepy.

February 22, 2013 at 5:13 am

Erika, you are so cute! haha. I had to watch the video without any sound, but it was still entertaining :P And you definitely have a YouTube fan base and some creepers, ha! Loved the story about how you got Bo! You must have some serious bank right now, so jealous! Can’t believe how much they tax the crap out of all of the prizes though.

February 22, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Thanks Melanie! I was so creeped out when those comments started coming in a few years ago so I disabled notifications because I didn’t want to know what people were saying haha! But I got a good laugh reading some of them today! ;)

I wish I could say I have serious bank but here’s the real deal. The car had to be sold back as “used” to the dealer (for legal reasons) even though the car hadn’t even been ordered yet from the factory. So the check they handed me was substantially less than the price of the car plus they took out like $6,000 in sales tax too (on the full value of the car of course). Then I used a little to take my entire family on the trip to DC that I won and used another little bit to get started when I moved to LA. Then I spent most of it paying for taxes (like $25,000 or something nuts) on the original value of all of the prizes. What was left went into a bank account and I haven’t touched it since. But it will be used in a couple months to make a few school payments. Don’t get me wrong… I am CERTAINLY not complaining because I walked out of there with a heck of a lot more than I walked in with. But I didn’t even come remotely CLOSE to winning the cash value of the car haha!

7. Gabbi

February 22, 2013 at 7:35 am

What an adorable story! Bo is the cutest!!

February 22, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Thanks Gabbi! I certainly think so! :)

8. Vicki

February 24, 2013 at 4:07 am

Ha, how cool! My little Monkey watched your “Price is Right” appearance on Youtube together, and she was most upset that you didn’t win the showcase! Wonderful story!

February 25, 2013 at 11:26 am

Thanks so much Vicki! I was a little bummed too but tell Monkey the happy ending of the story was the pup so really I won the best prize of all! :)

9. Amy@BuffaloRoam

February 25, 2013 at 12:08 pm

OH MY GOSH! That is an unreal story! I have to be honest – I would have cried and cried if I couldn’t keep the vette. I WILL have one some day! But definitely you couldn’t have spent your money on anything better than Bo. What a great story!

February 25, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Haha thanks Amy! I strangely didn’t feel attached to it at the time. Perhaps I would have felt more attached if the car had already been ordered and it was a tangible thing sitting in front of me. I didn’t even test drive one for fear of getting too sad about selling it. So glad you enjoyed the story! :)

If it were a beautiful 1960’s VW Bug then I would have been a weeping mess… THAT’S my dream car! SOMEDAYYYY!

10. Pingback: Walker & Erika: The Beginning of Our Love Story! - Our Cozy Cubbyhole