Design School Update – January 28, 2012

I hope you all had a nice weekend! I spent most of the weekend working on homework and was very productive. Since I have been at school for a couple weeks now, I figured it would be fun to update the blog with a few of my recent projects.

My first big assignment in my color & design theory class was to accurately mix paints and create a color wheel with the primary, secondary, and tertiary colors. I painted swatches of color, cut them out, and assembled them on a presentation board. I was very happy with the way my wheel turned out! :)ColorWheel1 ColorWheel2

My first assignment in my design process class was to explore and depict the eight elements of design. Inspired by our recent trip to wine country, I decided to take my own wine-themed photos (rather than find pictures in a magazine or on the internet) to demonstrate each of the elements in a “wine list” menu. The project may not make much sense to you all because you don’t get my verbal presentation that goes along with my assignment but I felt like sharing it anyway! The presentation was a success and I walked away with full marks!ElementsOfDesign1 ElementsOfDesign2 ElementsOfDesign3

Perhaps my favorite assignment so far was my first floor plan for my technical drawing (drafting) class. The entire thing is done on a drafting board with a parallel rule.  All non-horizontal lines are drawn using triangles, shape templates, and a scale ruler (not a single freehand line in the plan). Drafting is very time consuming and tedious but I LOVE it! My first attempt at a floor plan was a total success (and I hope my teacher agrees… I turn it in tomorrow)!DraftingFloorplan1 DraftingFloorplan2 DraftingFloorplan3 DraftingFloorplan4

I am also taking a sketching class (to improve my freehand drawing) and a computer graphics class (where we are learning Adobe Illustrator this quarter). I am doing very well so far in all of my classes so I hope I can keep it up! I am truly loving school… I practically live for Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Every day that I am there I feel happy, inspired, and on the right path! Besides snagging Walker and Bo, attending this school may be the best decision I’ve ever made. :)

17 Responses to "Design School Update – January 28, 2012"

1. Maria @ Inspiration Affirmation

January 28, 2013 at 5:15 pm

This is so exciting! I LOVE your color wheel. It really turned out beautifully. And I love the way that you depicted the elements of design. And your drafting skills are top notch, my friend — your plans look amazing! Keep these updates up, please! So much fun to read! :-)

January 29, 2013 at 8:21 am

Thank you so much Maria! I have been working hard! I will make sure to keep the updates coming :)

2. Christine @ casa-de-Christine

January 28, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Ahhh you’re making me miss school! Haha. Your colour wheel is gorgeous! I love that you thought outside the box for the design elements and your drafting is amazing! I always liked manual drafting too even though it’s so tedious! You are kicking butt at this school thing! Good job!

January 29, 2013 at 8:25 am

Thank you Christine! I really appreciate all of the encouragement! It’s a lot of work but I love it! :)

What was your favorite thing in school? I think the manual drafting (and perhaps more so computer drafting when we get to it) will end up being one of my favorite parts!

• Christine @ Casa-de-Christine

January 29, 2013 at 8:42 am

Drafting was my favourite part too! I loved manual drafting- it’s like an art form but I really enjoyed AutoCAD too and computer drafting. My favourite things to do are floor plans and space planning. My dream job would be designing custom houses for clients. I love taking what people feel they need and love and making it work in unique ways. I also really liked Studio class which was basically taking a project from start to finish through the drafting stages and then through finish selections and working drawings. It’s all fun though- love interior design!

January 29, 2013 at 6:28 am

I find this all so interesting :P
    So glad you’re having an amazing experience with school!

January 29, 2013 at 8:27 am

Thanks Melanie and glad you find it interesting! I will keep up the updates! :)

January 29, 2013 at 9:39 am

Guuuh this all looks like so much fun!

January 30, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Thanks Ashley! It really is! :)

5. Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication

January 29, 2013 at 6:50 pm

So glad things are going so well for you! All of your projects are fabulous looking!

January 30, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Thanks so much Ashley!

6. bekah

January 30, 2013 at 5:31 am

WAIT. So you drew that floor plan by HAND? Holy crap. Well Done!

January 30, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Haha I did indeed! Thanks so much! It took a long time but I really enjoyed it! :)

7. Amy@BuffaloRoam

January 30, 2013 at 7:40 am

This looks so interesting and like it would be so much fun to learn! Keep it up! :)

January 30, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Thanks so much Amy! It is really interesting and fun but LOTS of work! Totally worth it! ;)

8. Kristen | Popcorn on the Stove

January 31, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Oh, I love hearing all about this! It always makes me smile to hear you talk about school… and it makes me want to go back to school for graphic design!

February 1, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Thanks so much Kristen! :) That would be amazing! Graphic design is such a cool (and very lucrative) career path. My brother is majoring in it right now!