That Time I Ruined My Birthday Surprise

But I didn’t mean to! Let me explain…

After I got back from orientation, I had a list of the specific supplies I would need for school.  A little panicked that I would have to scrape some money together for a (portable for space reasons of course) drafting table, I got a bit nervous.  I had the genius idea to check Craigslist for the off-chance that someone was selling a portable drafting table and to my great surprise, there was!CraigslistAd

You can’t tell from my screenshot but the table was quite beat up but for $30, who can be picky?! I figured I could scrape by with a shoddy board and emailed the guy. When Walker got home I told him about my find.  He said that it was great and to keep him posted.  An hour later the guy emailed me back that he was around all night and that I could come pick it up. I was about to hit send on an email back saying I’d be over shortly when Walker sighs and says, “Wait. Don’t go. I got you a drafting table for your birthday…”

I was really, really pumped for a second… and then immediately felt guilty for ruining the surprise! I had no idea though and was just getting so excited about school! You can’t blame a girl for being a super nerd, can you? I must have caught this problem from my dad because he ALWAYS unintentionally ruins his gift surprises (my mom can vouch for that!).

Turns out it was kind of a good thing that he got to see my excited reaction when I ruined the surprise because when the table was delivered the next day, there was a giant picture of it on the outside of the box. Who does that!? I brought the box inside on my lunch break and I would have found out then anyway. Way to go, Amazon.

Anyway, he apparently still loves me despite my surprise-spoiling because that amazing man is taking me to wine country for the weekend! We leave in a few hours and I can’t wait! Hitching Post steaks and Pinot, here we come!! :)

(and then I get to come home and play with my awesome new drafting table!)

12 Responses to "That Time I Ruined My Birthday Surprise"

1. Mom

January 11, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Have fun…be safe. Love you guys!

January 11, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Thanks Mom! We will be! I’ll call you on our way out there! xoxo :)

2. Cindy P

January 12, 2013 at 5:15 am

Oh Erika! haha! But you know what, it’s okay. I’ve ruined quite a few surprises before doing the same thing! I get so excited about wanting something I don’t think about a holiday coming up and I go ahead and buy what it is I want! Oops… At least you got your drafting table, though! And you’re right, at least Walker got to see your reaction when he told you instead of it coming and you finding out on lunch the next day. =D
    I hope you have fun this weekend. It sounds like an amazing trip! Enjoy and I can’t wait to see pictures!

January 14, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Haha that is exactly what my dad always does… buys something he wants after my mom has secretly already gotten it for an upcoming holiday! ;)

Yes, thankfully the surprise worked out in this case. And thank you- we had a wonderful weekend! xoxo

3. Courtney

January 12, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I have been so horrible and haven’t caught up on blogs all week…I just went back and caught up on your blog and it felt sort of like we had a long catch up phone talk! :)

Yay for your FIDM orientation!! So exciting! Not sure if I missed your birthday, or it is this weekend? Happy early or late birthday whichever it is!! I somehow always know exactly what my husband is getting me for a gift, I have to just pretend so I don’t ruin what he thinks is a surprise! :) Have so much fun in the wine country! Drew’s family lives in Paso Robles…gorgeous and so much fun!

January 14, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Awww that’s so sweet! I always do that so no worries at all :)

Thanks so much for the birthday wishes! It was on Friday. Haha that’s so funny you always know what you are getting. Is it because your hubs is terrible with surprises, because you snoop, or because you have a sixth sense for it? ;)

Wine country was SO wonderful! We went to Santa Barbara/Solvang area. I have never been to Paso Robles but I have always wanted to venture up there! Perhaps that will be our next trip… and stop in Pismo Beach on the way up because that is another vacation on the list.

January 14, 2013 at 9:24 am

Walker is so sweet!

January 14, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Thanks Mel! I think so too! ;)

5. Christine @ Casa-de-Christine

January 14, 2013 at 10:37 am

Happy birthday!! Yay for a drafting table! It sucks when you ruin the surprise but hey- it happens! Hope you had a great weekend away : )

January 14, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Thanks Christine! I am so pumped about the table and we have both gotten over the fact that I ruined the surprise haha! ;) The weekend was so wonderful!

6. Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication

January 15, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Haha! This happens to me all the time. I constantly, accidentally, force Jesse to tell me my presents the same way. I’m gonna buy this thing I want, “Oh wait, I got that for you for your birthday.”

January 21, 2013 at 11:13 am

Haha that’s so funny! Good to know I’m not alone in this one! :)