First Blogiversary Day 3: Big News!!

Oh happy day!! Today is my official one year anniversary since the birth of this little blog! A year ago today I made my very first post and wasn’t sure what to expect out of this whole blogging thing. While I am going to get into this topic more tomorrow, I will share one of the main results with you today.

I have been waiting to make this announcement on the blog since July, when I first hinted I had something in the works.  Shall we recap that post?

Well here it goes: I am so so so beyond excited to announce that I will be going back to school in January to study Interior Design at FIDM in Downtown LA!!! On July 2nd, I got accepted to their 1 year Professional Designation program designed for people who have already earned a bachelor’s degree (this means no gen-ed glasses… just the good stuff!).

So let me back things up and start from the beginning. Since I have already written this once before, I will let past-Erika tell the story in the form of a few snippets from my FIDM admissions essay:

“I have spent my entire life surrounded by fabric, paint, crafts, HGTV, and all things home décor. After learning to sew at age eleven, my do-it-yourself creativity spiraled into paper crafts, art, room painting, refurbishing furniture, set design, and mood boards. Therefore, a college major in Drama seemed like a natural fit and I spent my time focusing on set design, set painting, costume design, and costume construction.”

Sidebar: As many of you know, I was actually pursuing two bachelors degrees (overachiever much?), one in Drama and the other in Television/Radio Production at the communications school. Okay, sorry past-Erika… please continue.

“After graduation, I was offered a job in the television industry and couldn’t pass up employment. However, I began to miss having a paintbrush and a hammer in my hands and decided to find a new creative outlet by beginning a home blog chronicling my own D.I.Y. and home décor pursuits. Not only does the blog allow me to stay current with design ideas and trends, but it has also allowed me to develop my photography, photo editing, writing, web design, and D.I.Y. skills.”

Fun fact: I actually started a dog blog first but that is beside the point.

I was laying awake one Sunday night in June, stressing over just about everything in my life and I decided to ask myself a really honest question. If money was no issue, what would I do with my life? After a long winded answer that revolved around blogging, designing, DIY projects, etc. I had one of those (excusez-moi pour mon Francais) holy-shit-moments that hit me like a Mack truck. I sat right up in bed and thought “Wait a minute! Money isn’t the issue here… I actually COULD do a lot of those things for a living… AS AN INTERIOR DESIGNER!” Duh. How had I never thought of this before as a potential career path for myself? I have been spending countless free hours happily following creative pursuits since I was a little girl that could all play a part in a design career. How has this never clicked before?

Once I put all the pieces together, I realized that I undoubtedly have a passion for all of these design-related activities. However, I lack an education in the field that would guide me to understand how to truly translate that passion into a career. I spent the entire night wide awake and researching design schools. When I saw FIDM’s 1 Year Professional Designation Interior Design Program I was so pumped because it was a perfect fit! I called an admissions adviser the next day.

When I called my mom to talk to her about it, her response was “How have we never thought of this before!?” Like mother, like daughter. :)

The admissions process began with a meeting with my admissions adviser to go over the basics (curriculum, cost, campus tour, etc.) and to get my admissions requirements. I had to fill out the usual paperwork, write an admissions essay, and complete a portfolio entrance project (see a copy of the directions here). This is what I came up with (click to enlarge photos):

Perhaps I will write a more detailed post on this project and my choices in the future (this one is long enough!). Regardless, they liked my essay/project and accepted me to the program! July seems like ages ago now… I have been looking forward to this for so long. However, I wanted to wait until the new year to start school so I had time to save some serious cash.

So what does this all mean for my life? First of all, it means that (as of January) I will be first and foremost a full-time student. School will be my main focus over the next year, despite the fact that it may seriously cut into my social and blog time.  Secondly, this obviously means I will have to switch to part time at my current job. I will be in class on Tuesdays/Thursdays all day and then work the other 3 days. How do I know this?  Well, because I registered for classes yesterday!!! Hooray!

I am more than excited for this adventure to start but a part of me is also really nervous! It is a huge career/life change for me and I will be basically starting completely over. Plus, only having a part-time income in this expensive city is terrifying but I have crunched the numbers a million times and I should be okay. For those of you who know me well, you know I can be meticulous about my budget when I want (or need) to be! All scary things aside, my gut is telling me that I am headed down the right path and I couldn’t be more elated to be following my passion.

While I have a million more things I could say about all of this, I think this blog post is long enough for now. I will leave you with a one additional snippet from my essay that sums this whole thing up and a couple pictures from my registration yesterday. I know this post could spur some questions from you all, so please feel free to comment below, email me, or submit questions on Mondays survey/question form (which I would appreciate you filling out if you haven’t already!). I am so grateful all of your support and love in this exciting time. Xoxo!

“I have always loved being ‘home’ and for a long time I attributed it to nothing more than comfort and familiarity. However, as I have gotten older, I have come to realize that what makes a place ‘home’ is not only comfort and familiarity, but also the personality of the space, the way a space makes one feel, and the memories it contains. The reason ‘home’ feels so wonderful is because it is deeply personal and is the physical manifestation of one’s experiences, dreams, feelings, and outlook on life. The desire to create this amazingly personal oasis at home for myself and for others is the exact reason I have decided to go back to school at age twenty-five to pursue a new career in interior design. I am sincerely excited to study the principles that will allow me to transform other people’s desires and needs into something functional, aesthetically pleasing, profoundly personal, and delightfully unique.”

29 Responses to "First Blogiversary Day 3: Big News!!"

1. bekah

December 12, 2012 at 9:34 am

Thats awesome!!! Congrats!

December 12, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Thank you so much Bekah!! I am so excited! :)

2. Nicole

December 12, 2012 at 9:38 am

So incredibly proud of you!!! I can not wait to see some of the work you produce… and once you make it big I will gladly be on your East Coast design team ;) Love you!! (And one year in school will completely fly by!) xox Nicole

December 12, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Awwww thank you my love! I will happily make you my design partner in crime… especially if you and your Mom make me on of those stunning cakes I’ve been seeing pictures of! ;)

I love you! Are you going to be around after Christmas? I would LOVE to see you!!!

• Nicole

December 12, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I will be around! I moved back home so I am always around now :) I definitely want to see you!!! And if you give me fair warning you may even get a fancy cake ;)

December 12, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Yayyyyyyy to all of the above! I love you :)

December 12, 2012 at 9:49 am

Yay! I was so excited for you when you told me this weeks ago & I am STILL so ridiculously excited for you! You have definitely found what you’re meant to do and I couldn’t be happier for you! I can’t wait to hear all about this for the next year and I wish you the best of luck! (even though I know you’re going to do great) Go get ‘em Erika!

P.S. Those boards are amazing & beautiful!

xoxo!

December 12, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Haha thanks Melanie! I really appreciate all of the encouragement! You are the BEST! :) xoxo

4. Claire

December 12, 2012 at 9:56 am

Congratulations! Seems like a perfect fit for you!! Can’t wait to see some of the amazing things you’ll do. Way to go :)

December 12, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Hello Claire!! I MISS YOU!! I just remembered just this very second I never returned your phone call from ages ago. Worst friend ever. I truly hope all is well! I woud love to catch up soon! xoxo

• Claire

December 13, 2012 at 3:19 pm

And to think that all this time I just thought you hated me or forgot who I was haha. Yes, would love to catch up, although I’m mostly caught up on your life from religiously reading your blog. Not stalking…loving :)

December 13, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Ahhhhhh no… I hope that was a joke. How could I ever dislike or forget my Friendly’s twin/singing partner? Yay! I am so so so happy you are a stalker! ;)

Miss you!

5. Cindy P

December 12, 2012 at 10:24 am

Wow!! This is so awesome and amazing! I am SO excited for you!!!

December 12, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Thank you so so much Cindy! It is really exciting! I am anxious to get started! Thanks for the well-wishes! xoxo

6. Christine @ Casa-de-Christine

December 12, 2012 at 11:22 am

Congrats! I’m sure you’ll do great! It will be a tough year juggling both school and work but it will be worth it and it helps that you love what you will be doing! I graduated from a 3 year interior design program and it was very challenging and demanding but fun too. Good luck! I’m sure you’ll do great things!

December 12, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Thank you so much Christine! I know it will be a tough year… school days will be 12 straight hours and work days will be 9 hours plus school work. But I seriously can’t wait!

That is so cool that you are also an interior design grad! That’s right… you work in custom cabinetry, right? So awesome :)

Thanks for the well-wishes! xoxo

7. Brhea

December 12, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Erika!! This is so exciting. As the daughter of an interior designer and as someone who is also really passionate about home design I have to tell you that I think you will do GREAT. This really seems like a calling for you. You are so talented and I know that you will be very successful. Best wishes in the new year! xo

December 12, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Thanks so much Brhea! I didn’t know that your mom is an interior designer but I have seen pictures of some of her stuff on your blog (like her Thanksgiving table) and it is beautiful! The apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree, does it… you are both such amazingly talented and creative people! :)

Thank you so much for the vote of confidence and the well-wishes! I hope you have a wonderful holiday and a happy new year as well. xoxo

December 12, 2012 at 2:23 pm

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY. I know I already knew this but YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY. I’m so excited for you, and I definitely think this is going to be amazing. It’s so clearly your passion, and holy heck you write amazingly well.

December 12, 2012 at 3:54 pm

First of all, I really approve of the use of lots of extra necessary letters in the word “yay.” I am pretty sure this moment was the first time I have ever typed it with only three letters! ;)

Thank you so much for believing in me! You are such a sweet friend! :)

P.S. Thanks so much for the writing compliment! You’d never know with the way I blabber on like an idiot on the blog, huh? haha xoxo ;)

9. Courtney

December 12, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Soooo exciting Erika!! Congratulations!!

Xo, Courtney

December 12, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Thank you so much Courtney! I am so pumped to get started! Eeeeee! :)

10. michelle@decorandthedog

December 12, 2012 at 6:10 pm

1. Happy belated blog birthday. Mine is actually this week too but it’s getting overshadowed by Christmas. Poor blog.

2. WAY TO CHASE YOUR DREAMS!! I’m seriously impressed. I’d love to go this route but feel a little trapped in my current profession…for better or worse. I’m proud of you! :)

December 12, 2012 at 6:30 pm

1. Happy blog birthday to you as well! So glad I share a blogiversary with such an awesome blog!

2. Thank you so so so much! I hear you… I was feeling the same way in my current career path so rather than leave it all together, I am going to still continue working in post-production while I am in school. I am kind of splitting my eggs in two baskets and am lucky that my company is cool with it. However, if when I eventually move away from LA, the number of post-production editing jobs (that I would actually enjoy) plummets so perhaps I am avoiding future unemployment by branching out! At least I keep telling myself that…

Thanks so much for your support! It means a lot! :)

11. Kristen | Popcorn on the Stove

December 13, 2012 at 7:25 am

That’s amazing and wonderful news! Congrats!! I’m still trying to get to my dream job so you are quite inspiring!

December 13, 2012 at 9:13 am

Thanks so much Kristen! Yes, my goal is to find my dream job too and I have a good feeling that this is the next step toward that. I am very flattered you find my story inspiring. You are so sweet! :)

12. Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication

December 16, 2012 at 6:33 pm

How exciting! That is seriously so awesome Erika! Congrats!

December 16, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Thanks so much Ashley!! I can’t wait! ;)

13. Pingback: Top 10 Tips on Designing a Space