Friendship is a Hoot!

Are you lucky enough to have people in your life that you know will be lifetime friends?

Nicole & Erika circa 2008

I will be the first to admit, I am literally the worst person in the universe at keeping in touch with friends, which is unfortunate considering that I moved over 3,000 miles away from everyone I knew. However, there are certain people that, no matter how much time has passed since I last spoke with them, everything seems the same as the good old days when I am with them.

Nicole is one of those people to me.  She was one of my closest friends in high school and every time that I talk to or see her, our relationship feels like it never skipped a beat.  I love that and I am so grateful to her for that.

The other day, I found an envelope in my mailbox with her familiar handwriting and I got super excited. Guess what I found?!

Good Luck Owl
Everyone knows that owls are wise…
So this owl gives guidance though small in size.
Good luck he brings and wisdom too
When you carry him close the whole day through!”

How adorable and thoughtful is that!?  We all know I have a mild obsession with owls (which I believe is genetic in my defense!) so this was the best little gift to get in the mail… not to mention that the little guy brings good luck, wisdom, and love from a wonderful person I wish I could see more often.  Also, there was a picture of a dog on the stamp! <3

So do me a favor and call, text, email, or even snail mail (my particular favorite) one of the people in your life about which you keep saying “I really should give {INSERT NAME HERE} a call! I’m the worst.”

As for the little owl, he has found his new permanent home on our living room shelf, resting on the easel that displays a picture of one of his relatives.

P.S.  I hope you all went out and voted today! I did:

Erika circa November 6, 2012

9 Responses to "Friendship is a Hoot!"

1. Manda {Eat Cake}

November 6, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I *did* vote!
    I do have a Friend that I’ve been had since we were two. Best Friends are….the best! :)

November 6, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Hello Manda and welcome! Glad to hear you voted too!

I love that! I actually have a best friend that I’ve had since we were two also and I was just the maid of honor in her wedding last month! But I feel so lucky to have several friends in my life that will be forever friends. :)

P.S. Your blog is super adorable! I have added it to my reader!

2. Nicole

November 6, 2012 at 6:06 pm

LOVE everything about this post!! Especially “Erika circa November 6, 2012” I would also like to add to your list of ways to contact a dear friend: Write an awesome blog post in their honor :) Sending lots of love your way (and to the men of the house too)! xoxo

November 6, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Well, I LOVE YOU so that works out nicely. And I’m so happy you noticed and appreciated the dual “circa” captions. We are meant to be in love ;)

The boys say/bark hello! Let’s skype chat soon! Thanks again for such a thoughtful, sweet gift! :)

November 7, 2012 at 5:40 am

I did vote! & I’m very happy with the results. :)
    That owl is absolutely adorable!
    I have a friend like that – we are both super busy, so we never get to talk or hangout, but every time we do, it’s like we never left off. So we make an attempt to get together for lunch every couple months. We are actually meeting up next week and I can’t wait!

November 7, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Yay and me too!

Nice! Isn’t that the best!? Enjoy your visit :)

4. Maria @ Redecorate Blog

November 8, 2012 at 8:37 pm

What a sweet little owly face that is! ;-) I just love owls. And great friendships.

November 9, 2012 at 7:52 am

Indeed! Well said Maria :)

5. Vicki

November 13, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Sweet post about your friend, I love that little owl…I wish I got to see my best friend more (last time was 4 years ago!). I didn’t vote haha because I live in Australia, but I have to say that I followed very closely, they had the whole “votes being counted” lead up stuff on tv here. I learnt so many things watching that, and I was really surprised to learn that it’s not compulsory for you guys to vote! We get a fine if we don’t vote!