Fall & Football Decorations

I am oh so envious of all of you that get to experience true fall: leaves changing colors, crisp autumn breezes, apple cider doughnuts. You get my drift. Here in LA, the most we get is a cooler night or two and a barrel of half-rotten pumpkins at every grocery store. Okay, I’ll stop whining but the point I am trying to make is that we sort of have to create fall around here. So over the weekend, we did just that!

The thing that most represents autumn in this apartment is FOOTBALL. We are big NY Giants and Nebraska Cornhuskers fans. So I went to a really awesome website to create some fun Nebraska football art for our front door at the beginning of this season. It was good luck on Saturday because we had an exciting win.

Walker even bought me some red and white gladiolas to support the team colors! GO BIG RED! Aren’t they stunning?!  They are STILL blooming, too…

To continue bringing fall to our place, Walker and I spent Saturday night carving pumpkins, drinking pumpkin beer, enjoying a fire in the fire pit, and listening to good music! It was glorious! Although, on second thought, it seems quite cruel to murderously de-gut and carve an innocent pumpkin while drinking the remains of his cousin.  Oh well… totally worth it! ;)

I had Monday off of work so I surprised Walker with another pumpkin that was painted with the Cornhusker “N” logo to match the art on our front door! I have been talking about getting a little plant stand for a while now, so I used the new pumpkins as an excuse to get an awesome one for $20 at Ikea. I made a little fall display out front for all to enjoy using the pumpkins, a piece of ornamental corn (for the Cornhuskers!), and some dried grape vines from our plant last year.

I really like the way it turned out! The only thing that stinks is that I have to bring the carved pumpkins inside on hot days so they don’t immediately rot!

To top off our fall celebrations, Walker came home from work to a homemade apple pie baking in the oven! We even made homemade chicken tortellini soup for dinner, just to maintain that cozy feel.

So maybe nature doesn’t really give us fall out here, but I certainly am feeling the good fall vibes in our place.  And really, that is what’s important. I love that happy fall feeling! :)

14 Responses to "Fall & Football Decorations"

October 25, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I am in awe of your energy and can do attitude! Way to make the most of fall in a place that doesn’t “really” have one. Love your fall decor.

October 25, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Thanks so much Ashley! Fall is what I miss most about living in NY so I try to bring it here any way I can. Luckily, Walker’s a great sport and enjoys doing fun fall stuff too!

And don’t be fooled by my energy… haha the decorations would have NEVER happened if I didn’t have Monday off. ;)

2. Kristen

October 25, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Awesome!!!! Your place looks great for fall… And football :). May I please please have your soup recipe?!? Looks totally delicious. Ps… Due to recent events, I am going to be off on both Thanksgiving AND Christmas!!! Happy Holidays…..!!!

October 25, 2012 at 8:02 pm

YAYYYYY!!! Well let’s plan on Thanksgiving together… can’t wait! We are still figuring out Christmas plans but we will likely be in Nebraska. So happy you don’t have to work though!

Soup recipe will be in your email shortly! Are you guys around on Saturday at 5 to watch the Nebraska game? We’d love to have you over!

3. bekah

October 25, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Your pumpkins look adorable! And Im totally jealous of your pie making abilities!

October 25, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Thank you Bekah! I can’t take too much credit for the pie skills… I was well taught by my mom and an awesome recipe! :)

P.S. I added your amazing blog to my reader. No idea why it took me so long but I am so looking forward to reading it! xoxo

4. Mom

October 25, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Love it! My mini me! Love you!

October 25, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Love you! I learned from the best! xoxo

October 26, 2012 at 5:01 am

LOVE this post! So many great homemade things!
    & I cracked up over the murdered the pumpkin & drinking them as well. hahha
    If I could send you a tree at the peak of it’s leaves changing colors & it would survive in Cali, I would!

October 26, 2012 at 8:48 am

Thanks Mel! Haha yeah… we also debated burning a pumpkin candle but that just seemed downright cruel ;)

THANK YOU for the thought! I would love a pretty Pennsylvania tree here.

6. Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication

October 29, 2012 at 9:05 am

Love those cute little pumpkins! They’re adorable! And that pie looks absolutely amazing!

October 30, 2012 at 8:53 am

Thanks Ashley… we devoured it in an embarrassingly short amount of time! :)

7. Maria @ Redecorate Blog

October 31, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I just love your pumpkin display — it turned out so cute! We have to sort of create Fall here where my husband and I live, too. (Arizona). The leaves don’t change, the weather doesn’t change much until sometime in November…I get where you’re coming from!

November 1, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Thank you Maria! I know… it is strange isn’t it? I grew up with a traditional fall so it took some getting used to.