Bathroom Update (FINALLY!)

I know this post has been long overdue and I have been teasing you with bits and pieces of our bathroom makeover for the past few weeks.  But finally I am able to proudly say that I am prepared to post some “progress” pictures.  We aren’t quite finished yet but we finally aren’t embarrassed to show you what it looks like as we speak!

First, let’s discuss the paint job.  If you recall, the painter’s tape was NOT our friend the first round of painting so we ended up with this:Gross. After a little “cutting in” (i.e. hand painting with an angled sash brush) we now have MUCH cleaner edges.  Never again will I use painter’s tape for edges like this!  We also used some white paint to cover the wall where the existing white paint was ripped off.  It doesn’t match so we still need to repaint but at least we aren’t looking at drywall!Alright, so moving right along to the actual bathroom pictures!We conveniently already had (and were actually using) two yellow towels so this picture looks very put together! The big changes from this angle are the wall color (duh), the new location of the towel rack (mentioned here), and the “You Make Me Happy When Skies Are Grey” framed print.I like the way this print came out but it wasn’t easy… Kinko’s has some SERIOUS issues printing greys!  You should see all the rejects:Our wall color (and the color of my image I brought in) is in the center. Most were not even remotely close and had this terrible greenish tint!  ANYWAY, moving on:This isn’t the best picture but you get the gist. Besides the paint color, we haven’t done much to modify this part of the room other than the yellow soap in the mason jar soap dispenser and replacing the globe light I so gracefully destroyed a few weeks ago.

And the last angle! You’ve pretty much seen this already but I thought I would have all pictures in one post.  As for the dress, this really WAS on the hook in the bathroom because I was trying to hand wash a red wine stain I acquired at the wedding a couple weekends ago out of the lace (yes, I was slow to unpack- I don’t want to talk abut it!).  So I decided not to move it for the pictures since it matched and also covered up the ugly patch of white paint.  Double score! :)

So we have definitely made progress but there are some other things we still need to do:

– Shower curtain (no we still haven’t decided what to do!)
– Window treatment
– New Towels
– Bath Mat/Rug
– Repaint white shower walls

I’m sure there is more but that is a decent list for now!  We will get to everything eventually!

As for the weekend, I have plans to finish up a few misc. projects and perhaps do some more cooking (we had a FEAST last weekend!).  I hope you all have a great weekend too! :)

10 Responses to "Bathroom Update (FINALLY!)"

1. Mel@MJ

June 1, 2012 at 10:00 am

The bathroom looks fantastic – awesome job!

June 1, 2012 at 11:39 am

Thank you!!

2. Cindy P

June 1, 2012 at 10:57 am

It’s looking great!! Can’t wait to see it when it’s completely finished.

By the way, I love that dress!! Where did you get it?

3. meghann

June 1, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Gorgeous! We had probems with taping edges in our ould house as well – not with the paint peeling off, but because the house was so old & the plaster was uneven, some of the paint seeped under the tape, and in other places it just looked wrong because the walls weren’t flat… We discovered that I’m actually a pretty steady hand with an angled brush, so cutting in by hand saved us a lot of time, after that first room… xo

June 1, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Haha I hear you… this wall was all uneven too so even when the taping “worked,” it looked all crazy. Glad to hear you guys have a steady hand and a little patience too… it makes for much cleaner edges! :)

4. Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com

June 3, 2012 at 8:45 am

What great color choices! I had no idea Kinko’s had a problem with gray, so I’m glad you warned us. As for the painter’s tape… grrrr. That stuff has ruined more painting jobs in my house than I care to admit. We finally bought that Frog stuff, and it works wonderfully.

Cute dress, btw!

June 4, 2012 at 8:50 am

Hey Katie! Haha yes, at least the Kinko’s near me had a lot of trouble. Each of those is from a different printer. I couldn’t believe the inconsistency!

And yes, after this paint job I despise painter’s tape. Perhaps I will give the Frog stuff a go. But I think this has also taught me to have a little faith in my ability to hand paint!

P.S. Your blog is so adorable! :)

5. Lisha @ 1house1couple

June 4, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Looking great! I love that color grey you have on the walls!!! :)

~Lisha

June 5, 2012 at 11:59 am

Thanks Lisha!! It’s called Pewter Mug by Behr.